Dear Masters rowers!
After a busy, sleepless night, we had to make a very sad decision: The 2020 Euro Masters Regatta will unfortunately not take place.
In June, we have been highly motivated not to let the Corona pandemic get the better of us and decided to offer Masters an opportunity to start in a high-quality regatta. By October, we hoped that the situation would be defused. But recently, regions and countries have again or for the first time been declared corona risk areas, from which we had firmly counted on participants.
After the registration deadline yesterday, it showed that there was particular interest in the regatta from within Germany. But apparently the corona risks and restrictions prevented the European neighbours from participating. Although entries were received from there as well, they were only sporadic and did not sum up to meet the aspiration of the Euro Masters Regatta as an international event.
In the past twelve hours, we have been calculating back and forth whether and how we could have filled a regatta program with the entries. As there were many single entries in crew events, many races would have had to been scratched. This in turn would have affected the time between races and would have prevented crews from double starts. Ensuing cancellations would have shrunk the field further. In short, this would not have been the kind of Euro Masters Regatta that we all hoped for.
Of course, in this special situation, we will fully refund the registration fees already paid. Please give us a few days to process these financial transactions.
We hope you will share this difficult decision with us. We would have loved to welcome you back to Munich! Make sure to note the date of the next Euro Masters Regatta: In 2021, the regatta takes place in beautiful Bled in Slovenia from June 17 – 20.
Until then, all the best, stay healthy and tuned with us!
The entire team of Regatta München e.V.
The 2021 Euro Masters Regatta will not take place in Munich: As the Olympic Regatta Center is about to be prepared for the European Championships, Regatta München e.V. moves the popular Masters event to Bled. The regatta will take place from June 17 to 20, 2021. The Masters-proven organization team in Slovenia will work closely with Regatta München and conjure up the well-known Euro Masters Regatta spirit on and around Lake Bled. Regatta München will be on site as host.
“Over the next 24 months, the City of Munich will prepare its sports facilities for the multi-sport event European Championships 2022. This includes the Olympic Regatta Center, the venue for the rowing and canoe sprint competitions. In 2021, preparations are pending, so we won’t be able to offer all the regattas as usual”, explains Oliver Bettzieche, President of Regatta München e.V. “That’s why we are going on tour with the Euro Masters Regatta. Despite the change of location, we will make sure that the Masters community will again experience the typical Euro Master Regatta they’ve come to expect. Therefore, we will work on site in Bled and offer the usual service around the regatta. This ranges from our registration portal over a well-organized boat rental to the Masters Party. We are very much looking forward to the new partnership.”
“We are very pleased to co-host the 2021 Euro Masters Regatta,” says Jernej Slivnik, co-Executive Director of Bled Rowing OC. “We share Regatta München’s passion for organizing attractive rowing events with fair racing, prompting this unique cooperation in the world of rowing. When two renowned regatta organizers join forces, the result will certainly be another unforgettable event for the Masters community on Lake Bled in 2021 and 2022.”
Bled previously hosted the 1986 and 1995 World Rowing Masters Regatta, adding the most successful one in 2017 with a record breaking 4,700 participants and over 900 races. Amazing landscape and fair rowing conditions contributed to the recent successful events – the 2011 World Rowing Championships and World Rowing Cups in 2010 and 2015.
In 2022, the Euro Masters Regatta will again take place in Bled from June 16 to 19, 2022. Further information about the announcement will be continuously published on the Regatta München website.
The MAX registration portal for the 2020 Euro Masters Regatta has been open since Monday. Quite a few masters have already taken the chance to enter their boats for their preferred races. Due to the corona protection measures, some additional steps are necessary when making your entries this year. Hence, we have put together a few tips to guide you through the procedure.
Preparing your entries
- Please start with reading our safety and hygiene instructions. It is a detailed document outlining under which conditions you are allowed to travel to Munich according to currently valid corona protection measures.
- Please also check out the reviewed regatta information, including cancellation policies for entries.
- A barcode is required to enter the regatta venue. The barcode will help manage the identity of participants and the number of people present at the venue. You will receive this barcode after filling out a health questionnaire and sending it back at least three days before the regatta starts. In order to send you this questionnaire, an individual e-mail address must be available for each participant. That means: When you register your crew, you have to have e-mail addresses for each crew member at hand and, if applicable, your coaches or drivers. Enter them into the system (click on the menu item COVID-19). Please note: Without the completed health questionnaire and the barcode issued by Regatta München, there is no access to the regatta venue.
As before, making entries is an easy procedure using the MAX portal:
- Search the system for rowers of your crew or create new data sets if a crew member is not in the system (this applies especially to rowers outside of Germany)
- Click on the overview button to see the entry input screen.
- By clicking on ‘Enter boats‘, you get to a screen to select events – either enter the race number or the event name
- Enter crew members – either by searching for your club and selecting athletes from there or by entering the rowers‘ names directly
- Save your boats
- Repeat for further entries
- Reserve rental boats from Filippi when making your entries for a particular event
- Book further services by clicking on ‚Select additional services‘ and selecting parking tickets, for example
- Finalise your entries by selecting a payment method and close the transaction
Follow us on Facebook or join the Euro Masters Regatta Group on Facebook to receive alerts on latest news.
Dear athletes, coaches and friends of Regatta München and the Euro Masters Regatta,
It is with great regret that we hereby cancel the 2020 Euro Masters Regatta at the original date of 17 to 19 July 2020. The decision follows the guidelines of the German Federal Government together with the Free State of Bavaria of 15 and 16 April to prohibit major events until the end of August 2020. We also follow the recommendation of the German Rowing Association of 9 April 2020.
However, as an optimistic outlook for our Masters community, we would like to offer an alternative date so that rowers do not have to tick off the 2020 season completely. Therefore we are planning the Euro Masters Regatta again for October 2020. Due to the autumnal season, the races will be spread over four days to take account of the colder temperatures and shorter daylight hours. Of course, we will implement the Corona safety regulations for events that will be valid until then, which the responsible authorities will certainly continue to pronounce and adapt. We would also like to point out as a precaution that this regatta could be cancelled due to Corona developments in the next few months. We will announce the new October dates within the next two weeks.
We are now looking forward to October 2020 to being able to offer the international Masters community a good and fair competition by then.
Regatta München e.V.