Corona virus: International DRV Junior Regatta in Munich under reserve

Regatta yes or regatta no? The rapid spread of the novel coronavirus Sars-CoV-2 presents regatta organizers worldwide with difficult decisions. FISA announced on March 10th that the World Rowing Cups I and II in Sabaudia and Varese as well as the European Olympic and Paralympic Qualification Regatta in Varese and the Final Paralympic Qualification Regatta in Gavirate will be cancelled without replacement. Regatta München e.V. also puts the health and safety of athletes, coaches, helpers, spectators and all other persons involved in the organization of its regattas first.

In close consultation with the local and state authorities as well as the German Rowing Federation, Regatta München is observing the development of the pandemic and does not rule out the cancellation of the International DRV Junior Regatta (May 9 and 10). Regatta München therefore recommends all clubs and nations to plan their trips in such a way that cancellations are possible.

The State of Bavaria has followed the suggestion of Federal Health Minister Jens Spahn of Germany and has banned events with more than 1,000 people with immediate effect. For events with 500 to 1,000 persons, the Bavarian State Government recommends cancellation, in each case after consultation with the authorities. This measure is initially to remain in force until April 19, 2020 and will then be extended if necessary.

The number of participants at the Junior Regatta falls into the category above 1,000 persons. However, due to the later date of the event, there might be a chance that the event can be held.

“The current development of case numbers and the assessment of the politicians show that an improvement of the situation is not in sight. Therefore, the risk remains that we will have to cancel the regatta”, comments Oliver Bettzieche, Chairman of the Board of Regatta München e.V. “The safety of all participants is very important to us – all the same, we value the athletes’ wish to earn the results of their hard training. For us, this will not be an easy decision. However, the bottom line is that health will always come first.”

The Junior Regatta remains under observation. We expect a decision by the beginning of April. In addition to a complete cancellation, it is also conceivable to hold a regatta with minimized scale. Regatta München e.V. is in exchange with the DRV to explore all possibilities. Pending clarification, the online entry portal for the regatta will not open for the time being.

The decision about the execution of the regatta will be published here as soon as a final evaluation is possible.

The Euro Masters Regatta in July is currently not affected by the current developments and considerations and will go ahead as scheduled.